Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Intriguing

A few days ago, Washington had its annual National Prayer Breakfast. Bono spoke at the breakfast, and got most of the media attention. But at a lunch specifically for Evangelical leaders, King Abdullah of Jordan spoke on the need for each of the Abrahamic religions to overcome intolerance and ill-will. What struck me, however, was this:
Joseph Lumbard, special adviser to the king on interfaith affairs, said the king wants to engage in a deeper dialogue with Catholics and members of other Christian traditions.
Interesting- the King speaks to a group of evangelicals, and singles out Catholics as the focus of engagement. Why mention Catholics specifically? It's incredibly optimistic, and I realize there are other possible reasons his advisor mentioned Catholics particularly, but could it be King Abdullah is feeling drawn towards the Church? Heaven knows conversion would make things terribly awkward, but I would trust divine Providence to ensure things work out for the best.

3 Comments:

Blogger cs said...

hello! you don't know me, but i have linked you to my blog and i thought it would be appropriate of me to let you know... the link admittedly functions as an easier way for me to reach your site...

(if you would like to know where on virtual earth this blog of mine is you may email me, but it is mostly full of silly un-deep thoughts shared with my friends!)

blinde/@/poetic/./com

February 10, 2006 12:36 AM  
Blogger Keurig Coffee said...

Well... that's pretty optimistic. I'd imagine that he'd be singling out the Romish Church because of their generally more pacifist tendencies. Roman opposition to the Iraq war was pretty significant. Also, I imagine that the Roman church has a certain repute because of its denunciation of the whole 'Vegas' lifestyle that the Arabs despise.

February 13, 2006 12:47 PM  
Blogger gabriel said...

I found the circumstances where the comment was made intriguing; of course it's unlikely that the comment actually has significance.

February 13, 2006 7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home