Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Last Night

I spoke with my cousin Nicole last night, who just had her third child, and she asked me to be a Godfather to young Griffin. I am both overjoyed and honoured. I see that a Dilexit Prior is becoming a Godparent soon as well.

I also stayed up very late, finishing Crunchy Cons (which I ordered from Duthie's, which seemed appropriate). Simply stated, it's a brilliant book, engrossing and exciting. It's the kind of book that brings things into focus, that illuminates what was previously amorphous or only suspected. Go! Go, buy or borrow and read! Just to give a tiny glimpse of the depth to which it reaches, the final chapter is called "Waiting For Benedict."

I love books, but there have only been a few that have had such an illuminating effect on me: Father Elijah was one; The Spirit of Early Christian Thought was another.

There are illuminating books, like the above, and there are transformative books which are still rarer (obviously, the categories blend somewhat). For me, the biggest transformative books for me have been The Screwtape Letters (when I was 12 or 13 and found the truth of the Faith) and Dominion, which altered the way I see animals, and to a lesser extent, the environment.

again, on the sparse posting- I've moved, and no longer have internet at home (a good thing, I think)- so posting will probably continue to be irregular for the forseeable future.

1 Comments:

Blogger DP said...

Congratulations on your nomination to godparenting. . . I'm excited to be in the same position. Well, not godfather, but godmother. I've got to admit "the godfather" has a certain ring to it. . .

With regards to the Screwtape Letters, I read them at 12 or 13 as well and the book remains one of my favourites to this day. Well "favourite" might not be the right word. It makes it sound like it's fun to read. It's not fun per say. Actually, I thought (and still do think) it was/is rather frightening. But in a good kind of way. The kind of fear that makes you conscious of who you are and aware of spiritual realities.

March 14, 2006 8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home