Wednesday, January 11, 2006

He's a Book Fiend!

I've picked up a fair number of new books over the last week- by which I mean, of course, used books. At a new Catholic bookstore in Coquitlam, I picked up Ralph Martin's overview of Catholic eschatology, "Is Jesus Coming Soon?", a old Image paperback biography of St. Jean de Brebeuf, written by Fr. Francis X. Talbot, S.J., and "Praying in the Presence of Our Lord", compiled by Fr. Benedict Groeschel.

Then, on the way to Victoria, I stopped at the Haunted Bookstore in Sidney and bought two Gerald Durrell first editions: "Encounters with Animals" and "The Whispering Land", both published by Rupert Hart-Davis. I also acquired a lovely early Penguin paperback copy of Waugh's "Vile Bodies", a novel by Umberto Eco, a Collected Works of William Shakespeare, Dobree's "Restoration Tragedy", a lovely little edition of The Little Flowers of St. Francis, and a nice CCCB edition of Marialis Cultus, Pope Paul VI's Apostolic Exhortation on devotion to Mary.

So, among all this wonderful new stuff, you might ask, what might he be reading? Well, I'm actually getting started on a copy of Vanity Fair, loaned to me by a friend. Thackeray is thus far endearing himself to me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

A Catholic bookstore in Coquitlam? Pray tell, where! We are out there frequently (family lives in Port Moody, we used to live up on Parkway Blvd) and obviously need more books to read.

I didn't see DP at Kreeft - so many people! It was a great night though.

January 11, 2006 6:51 AM  
Blogger DP said...

I believe the bookstore gabriel mentioned is called "Joyful Noise' and it is located at 957 Brunette Ave, Coquitlam, BC. (Phone: 605-521-4JOY). I haven't ever been there myself but I've heard about it before.

I gather from your post that they sell used books, gabriel? I just might have to check it out next time I'm in Coquitlam. I hope you redeemed your free coffee and 10% discount. ;-)

January 11, 2006 3:56 PM  
Blogger gabriel said...

That's the one, but I'd actually hesitate to recommend it- it's rather sparse.

January 11, 2006 6:18 PM  
Blogger DP said...

okaly dokaly, I won't drive out to Coquitlam just to go check out then... maybe if I happen to be in the area. Where ARE the good second hand book stores then? :-)

January 11, 2006 6:20 PM  
Blogger Harrison said...

Oh I will have to check out that bookstore in Coquitlam when I go home in February for my parents Anniversary!

-Harrison

January 20, 2006 6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi guys, this is Peggy Maas and I am the owner (with my husband Patrick) of Joyful Noise Books & Gifts. The internet is a wonderful thing, I googled the name of the store and there you are - blogging!

If you haven't visited yet, please do, coffee's on me. And, we're only a few months old so, don't give up on us - we're getting more stuff in all the time and we special order quite abit of stuff.

The used books section is small like the rest of the areas only because we have small space to work with.

Let me know when you're in.

God bless!

March 16, 2006 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home