Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Odds & Sods

Christmas was marvelous, as always, though I had a cold, and then I went to Rise Up!, Catholic Christian Outreach's annual conference. We heard George Weigel, Monsignor Gregory Smith and many others. Thanks to Dilexit Prior for taking the notes that I in most cases neglected to take, and in some cases lost. The conference was enormously encouraging and enlivening. Next year is in Quebec City, and while I will likely be unable to attend, it's sure to be still more wonderful.

Walking past Chapters today, I was lured in by the 30% off hardcovers sale, and while I didn't expect to find anything worthwhile, I nevertheless stumbled across a book that, while I had heard excellent things about it a few months ago, I had completely forgotten about. It was Philip Marchand's Ghost Empire, a retelling of La Salle's epic explorations in the Mississippi Valley as Marchand travels the same route. I am given to understand that it contains wonderful reflections on Catholicism and North America, and so am eager to read it. Regrettably, I haven't the faintest clue when that may be possible.

Well, off to Coquitlam. Wheee!

3 Comments:

Blogger Marian said...

30% off is was my staff discount, when I used to work at Chapters. It was the most boring job EVER, but the cheap books were nice.

Happy new year!

January 06, 2006 7:57 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I followed a link from Letters from a Young Catholic - good to see more local, Catholic bloggers out here! My husband and I will be at TWU tomorrow, maybe we'll see you there!

BTW, we are converts as well - and total book geeks. We should have a bumper sticker that says we stop for all bookstores.

January 07, 2006 9:28 PM  
Blogger Harrison said...

Just so ya know, George Weigel will be doing an entire conference weekend in September here in Victoria, details will be out in the next couple of weeks and I'll have it on my blog.

-Harrison

January 20, 2006 6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home