Thursday, January 19, 2006

A Little Housekeeping

I've added a few new bloggers to my blogroll & removed a few who I found I haven't been paying attention to. New to my blogroll are two chaps from Victoria Harrison, who has just newly started blogging, and Matthew Davidson who I just discovered was a blogger. Also new is Bernard Brandt, whose poem I borrowed a few days ago. For anyone who I know personally, if you've an active blog, I'm more than pleased to link to you.

I've also put a link up to a very exciting publishing project, the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture. Though the idea germinated among protestants, the project has taken on a admirably thorough ecumenical character. I'll wrap up this post with a quotation from the General Editor, Thomas Oden:
Almost everyone I talk with about the project responds positively, wondering why this was not done fifty years ago or more. I do think this is a ripe time among the several different audiences--Orthodox, Roman Catholic and Protestant evangelical--and for different reasons.

Among Roman Catholics there has been since Vatican II a fixation on the documents of Vatican II, so much so that they have tended to forget their patristic grounding. If you go back to Roman Catholic scholarship of fifty and one hundred years ago, you will see constant reference to patristic writers. Now, I'm very pleased with much that Vatican II did, but I think that they have tended during this period of opening the windows to the modern world--aggiornamento--to lose something of their exegetical roots.

The Orthodox have always been committed to patristic exegesis, but they have generally focused on Eastern exegesis. They've had such riches in the Eastern tradition that they have not felt a need to go into Western tradition. I think there is a growing awareness of the Western tradition on the part of the Orthodox, and they are ready to look further into the history of exegesis.

Evangelicals have entered into the world of historical-critical scholarship in a fairly healthy way, but it has left them hungry, with a sense of something essential missing. I think there is a growing awareness among them that the work of the Holy Spirit in the period between Augustine and Luther, and even before Augustine, in the Eastern tradition, is largely a closed memory.

4 Comments:

Blogger DP said...

I'm very interested in the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture project. I just finished reading a book this past week by Thomas Oden and J.I. Packer called "One Faith: The Evangelical Consensus" as part of an Ecumenical Dialogue course I'm taking right now. The book is essentially a summary of the various faith statements in which Evangelicals have, for the most part, consensus.

It's really fascinating to see how the patristics are bringing about unity in many areas of ecumenical dialogue. The writings of the early Church fathers are having a huge influence in recognizing our common heritage. It only makes sense that we are more likely to discover our common ground through starting with the Early Church Fathers and working our way forward from there, rather than starting with contentious issues of ecumenical dialogue. I personally know Catholic and Evangelical theologians working alongside one another on this very aspect of Early Church Tradition.

January 19, 2006 10:56 PM  
Blogger Harrison said...

Just curious, I got a comment from you, it may just be because I'm really tired, but my mind is going blank at the moment as to who you are. I think it's probably because it's 12:30am and I need to wake up in 5.5 hours hehe.

January 20, 2006 12:36 AM  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

Found your blog through "Follow the Koala." I live in Edmonton. The ACCS is a tremendous project. I used it all the time, and heard Tom Oden speak about it at Regent College several years back. Tremendous stuff. Thanks for your writing here.

January 20, 2006 12:06 PM  
Blogger gabriel said...

Hey Matthew- thanks for dropping by. I've heard of it, but haven't yet laid hands on a volume- I was going to pop by Regent College Bookstore today, but forgot.

January 20, 2006 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home