Saturday, October 08, 2005

Don Cherry's Return

I just caught the tail end of Coach's Corner this evening (for our foreign readers, Don Cherry is the maven of Canadian Hockey, and a perpetual thorn in the side of the national broadcaster, the CBC). Don Cherry didn't seem to be at the height of his game, but I suppose it's partly a matter of being rusty.

Does anyone else see Don Cherry as being a modern equivalent of Don Quixote? He's got the recklessness, fool to the world thing going on- he quite looks the part, and you might say that the cause of "good Canadian boys" is a trifle quixotic. Perhaps a subject for a longer post.

Regardless, it's incredibly comforting to see Don Cherry again on HNIC. All's right in the world, and the bluebirds sing sweetly.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marian said...

My one observation of Don Cherry is that everything he wears looks as if it has him in a strangle-hold at the collar.

October 08, 2005 7:44 PM  
Blogger gabriel said...

Altogether true; it is rather amusing. I can't imagine putting on something like that.

Anyways, I'm going to post again on Don Cherry, but since I'm so thrilled you commented, I'll give you the sneak peak:

Don Cherry started reading history, he figures, in his second year with the Rochester Americans, in the early 1960s. There was very little to do on the road, with two basic exceptions. “When you came into the minors, the old guys would tell you, OK, you’ve got a choice. You can hound after the broads, or you can drink, but you can’t do both. So I said, what do you mean? And they said, well, if you’re with a woman and you don’t drink, you’ll go to sleep early. And if you drink alone, you’ll go to sleep early. But if you do both, you’ll end up staying up late, to get both things in. So I made my choice: drinking. Which was interesting, because I didn’t even drink when I turned pro, I drank Coke. But I acquired the taste. Same with reading.”

Happy Thanksgiving!

October 09, 2005 3:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home