Saturday, December 23, 2006

The Great Antiphons

I've decided (a trifle belatedly) to post the Great Antiphons as we approach Christmas. These Antiphons are said with the Magnificat at Vespers for the seven days before Christmas Eve.

As you'll note, they form the basis for the classic Advent hymn O Come, O Come Emmanuel. I'll put up the new one each day.

I've taken these from the Monastic Diurnal, a Benedictine breviary predating the reform of the Hours, published by St. Michael's Abbey Press.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Gabriel -
Just found your comment - blogger pulled a whammy on me and so it is days later... you are right, Advent surely has little to do with December first, much less chocolate. Thanks for posting all your vespers, I am enjoying their beauty as I sift through suburban life in anticipation of the wee one's magnificent birth.
Please send me your email - I've lost it!
Cheers - and be cheered by His advent this day,
Jennifer

December 21, 2006 5:12 PM  
Blogger almost anonymous said...

happy new year, fellow

December 31, 2006 9:50 PM  
Blogger matthew christopher davidson said...

Hey Matthew,

Was one of your New Year's resolutions to not blog anymore?

January 22, 2007 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home